Wednesday, February 9, 2011

April Showers bring May Flowers

I've always wondered about this phrase.  I mean don't get me wrong I know the literal meaning of it (when it rains in april it waters the ground so that the beautiful flowers will bloom in may.) But what if this wasn't the actual meaning. 
What if long ago there was a beautiful lady named April Showers who was totally in love with a man named Steven May.  She loved him so much that she brought him flowers.  Red Roses in fact. And he thought it was an interesting trait for a woman to have so he coined this phrase. And their relationship was as peaceful as any relationship could be and they lived happily ever after and all that jazz.
What if not too long ago a man with seriously messed up parents (messed up enough to name a boy April) was born.  He walked day after day past a bench with a tulip plant resting on either side.  He always thought that those flowers were pretty enough to be presented to an angel.  One day he found his angle and brought her to that very bench and said "May will you marry me" and the tale of the man and the womans love was passed down from generation to generation until practically the whole world knew the Story of April Showers bringing May to flowers. but the unimportant words were droped to make it easier to say causing it to become April Showers bring May flowers.
What if April Showers was a bitch in HighSchool and one day she decided she wanted to be nice to every one she had ever done wrong. and she wanted to start off by making things right between her and her old best friend May.  So she brought her a bundle of sunflowers and marigolds and all the beautiful flowers May was fond of.  and they became best friends again.
What if it really is just a tale of the seasons.  And there is nothing special behind it at all...

Well then I think that would be a waste of a good story.

2 comments:

  1. I love it:) I never really thought about the phrase much before, but your interpretations are super creative. The first two were really cute, especially the second one with the guy named April. That is cruel though, to name your son April. At least he found his match:) Even if these aren't the stories behind, I'll pretend they are. One of them, at least.

    ReplyDelete