Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Butter Back Breast Free

The world slows down around me
until all I can focus on is the adrenalin, the nerves,
and the 25 yards ahead of me.

I chant to myself
a phrase I was taught as a child
"butter my back so my breasts are free"

I chant until I can feel the rhythm
flowing through me
like the constant waves in the water

It is my turn to prove my worth,
as I step up to the block
my heart beat begins to calm.

I know I can do this,
all doubt seeps out of me
and time stands to wait.

I step onto my pedistule of glory
and the anouncer speaks emotionless
"Swimmers take your marks"

When I hear the buzzer I automatically
take a flying leap.
The race for time has begun

The only thing on my mind is the other side of the pool
"Get your Balls on the wall"
I know what I have to do.

I go through the motions like I have since I was Six
but it all feels so new to me,
the rush, the euphoria, the fear of being a dissappointment

The end draws near
and by the time my head pops up out of the water
I'm the only one at the wall

Victory is sheer bliss
My fist in the air attracks a smile from my coach
and I know this is where I was meant to be

No comments:

Post a Comment